Friday, August 20, 2010

Phillip the Hyper-Hypo

Many times throughout each day JJ will tempt Sarah to make bad choices.  I know kids do this.  It's normal.  I also know that the intention behind JJ doing it is to irritate me.  I'm not supposed to take things personally but it is pretty obvious that making me sad or upset is a big motivator.  Tempting Sarah is a huge button of mine that she has to push and she knows it. 

The line that tends to go through my head during these times is not the most helpful in keeping me regulated.  It is from the Saturday Night Live sketch with Mike Myers and Nicole Kidman entitled Phillip, the Hyper-Hypo.  Near the end of the sketch Grace offers Phillip a candy bar and Mike Myers says, "You're the devil." 

JJ in all her beauty tempts so much that is difficult not to draw the connection to the sneaky evil in this world.  As I type this the words, "that can so easily entangle us," are going through my mind and I looked it up.  It's from Hebrews 12:1:
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.(NIV)
 Jesus, help me to finish strong and love JJ the way You first loved me. God, help me to see JJ for who you created her to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment