Monday, July 9, 2012

Facebook

I love people. I love stories. I love hearing what is going on in friends' lives 
especially faraway family & dear friends that I don't get to see in person. 
I love making connections & knowing things that are happening in the world. 
Facebook helps fulfill these loves. It also distracts me from things happening 
in my present reality. 
 
I've thought many times about fasting from Facebook to focus more on the people 
right in front of me. I make excuses that Facebook helps me do that, & it does 
but I can so easily get distracted with all the other fun stories & novelties 
involved. It makes me sad thinking I will miss out on feeling connected with 
my "friends" lives knowing that I do not have the time during the day to make 
phone or in person or, even, email contact with most of you. That translates as 
no fun in my head but I'm hoping it will translate as more fun outside my head :-), 
like more physical play & personal interaction. 
 
I also hope it opens up more time to connect with God. I seem to find time to check
my Facebook but yet can't seem to find time to have quiet time with God. The truth 
is I'm choosing my love of feeling connected and thinking I know what is going on 
over intentionally connecting with God.  
 
I'm fasting until August 4th. We'll see how this goes. Today was my first day and I 
already started calling more people than I would if I was using Facebook. Instead 
of a quick message on Facebook, I made a quick phone call. 
 
Let's see how this goes. :-)  


No comments:

Post a Comment