Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Holy Spirit

Like Lisa, I (husband and daddy) have been on a journey of learning to love. It ain't natural for me. I'm continuously amazed at how much God loves the unlovables of the world, those people that can be so difficult to love that the rest of humanity gives up on them. These are the ones who often aren't able to love back, but deep down, they're the ones who need it the most. And they sabotage themselves. They are their own worst enemy.

But the more I push myself to love, the more my heart actually loves. It's amazing. And I've been learning to pray for her. Honest, heartfelt, loving prayer.

JJ had a great day that finished terribly. She went completely Bombaloo. Later, when she was lying in bed and our bio-daughter was watching her sight words video before bed, I was staring at the bedroom monitor and began praying for Jenna. Halfway through my prayer, I really wanted to hear from God, so I asked him to manifest himself.

JJ had worked herself up and was 3/4 of the way down her bed, lying sideways beside her comforter, pillows on the floor, bedsheet crumpled up. I prayed that God's Spirit would come down on her and give her peace, that she would feel safety and love and pride and belonging. Then I asked God to show me proof of her feeling his peace.

"God," I asked, "if she's feeling your peace, have her roll toward the monitor and relax her propped-up knees. God give her peace, give her peace." A moment later, she rolled over and relaxed.

"God, help her to feel how much we love her, complete and unconditional love, safety, care. And when your Spirit is coming down on her, have her say, 'I love you, Jonathan.'" In a breathy solid voice, she said, "I love you, Jonathan."

"God, help her to feel how much we love her, complete and unconditional love, safety, care. And when your Spirit is coming down on her, have her say, 'I love you, Lisa.'" In a breathy solid voice, she said, "I love you, Lisa."

Then once more I prayed that she feel complete peace and belonging and home. I asked God that when his Spirit brings that on her that she would roll on her side and put her knees down again and go to sleep. She did all of it.

I couldn't believe it. I just wanted to keep praying for her. Very few times in my life has God's presence and activity manifested itself so vividly and immediately.

May he get all the glory through our lives and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment